Your guide to events in Nelson, New Zealand
Saturday 12th January 2019
Ras Judah and Culture Embassy is a Wellington-based, 10-piece international multicultural outfit, hence the name “Culture Embassy”.
The band’s musical style is an infusion Afro jazz, roots reggae and world folk. Culture Embassy started in Wellington back in early 2013 as a collaborative music project between Ras Judah and friends. Ras Judah hails from Botswana in Southern Africa. He has been playing music professionally for the past twenty-two years, has recorded three solo albums as well as work on several collaborative projects. Ras Judah & Culture Embassy released their debut in November 2015 in Wellington.
Culture Embassy released their first collaborative album as a band “Pan Afrikan” in November of 2015 and have since become a regular feature in the Wellington music scene.
The current band line-up includes:
-Benjamin Ato Baidoo (drums)
- Henry Smithers (bass)
- Luke (2nd rhythm guitar/vocals)
- Garam (Tenor Sax)
- James (1st Trumpet)
- Oscar Villagran (2nd Trumpet)
- Rafael Ferrer Noel (congas/vocals)
- Damian Dominguetz (percussions)
- Anantha Nayaranan (Alto Sax)
- Julian Taylor (Lead Guitar and backup vocals)
- Ras Judah (1st rhythm guitar/lead vocals).